Coombes Church is a Saxon church built in the 11th century and was mentioned in the Domesday Book. Parts of the church have been rebuilt over the centuries. The chancel was built in the 13th and 14th century. The dedication of the church is unknown.
It is famous for its Frescoes (murals), being some of the most important in the country. They were made around 1087 with some, the most modern, in 1753. These were whitewashed over and rediscovered in 1949. These frescoes include 'The Nativity Cycle', 'The Lion of St Mark', 'Christ giving the keys to Peter' and 'the journey into Egypt with the donkey led by St Joseph'.
The church had its own rector, who lived in the rectory across the field until 1900.
The Rev'd Roger Russell, Rector, 01903 753212.