Lancing College Chapel
Lancing College is one of Britain's leading independent schools for boys and girls aged 13 to 18 and is a Christian foundation in the Anglican tradition whose chapel is open to the public.
It symbolises the importance of Christian worship at the school. The building, which is the central minster of the Woodard Corporation, is an architectural masterpiece which attracts several thousand visitors each year.
Magnificent gothic chapel set on the South Downs. Founded 1868 and consecrated 1911. Planning permission has been passed for a West End Extension. The Rose Window (9.7m
diameter) was dedicated in 1978. Dominant impression of the nave is its height: 27.5m to the apex of the vault. Features include the newly installed stained glass window dedicated
in memory of Bishop Trevor Huddleston, a pupil at Lancing in the late 1920s. Plus the stall
canopies, the brass lectern, bronze candlesticks and the fine tapestries.
School services take place in the upper chapel. The crypt is also used for smaller congregations and private prayer.The whole school attends the College Eucharist every Wednesday morning and on two or three Sundays each term. There is also a morning service. Parents are very welcome to attend any of the services, particularly those on a Sunday.The college''s renowned chapel choir plays a major part in all worship.
Visitors are very welcome to Lancing College Chapel. Opening Times: Mon-Sat 1000-1600. Sun & BHol Mons 1200- 1600. Groups of visitors who would like a guided tour should contact the Verger, Mr Roger Frewin, in advance, on 01273 465949, or email@example.com. Party bookings welcome.
Price: Free. Donations invited.