Buchan Country Park has won the Green Flag Award, which recognises the best green spaces in the UK, every year since 2010.
The Park is an excellent place for walking, watching wildlife or enjoying a picnic. We have a number of sculptures dotted around the park which families can have fun hunting for.
Animals to look out for include dragonflies, Nightjar, Great Crested Grebe, Adder and Grass Snake.
Buchan Country Park is a Green Flag award winning site. Enjoy this special piece of Sussex countryside and the wildlife that calls it home.
- Countryside Centre (see opening times)
- CoffeEco Mobile Barista (Fri/Sat/Sun)
- Phil Haskell Wild Garden (dog free area)
- picnic area
- free parking
- disabled parking
- free all day coach/mini-bus parking
- pushchair access
- wheelchair access
- toilets, including a disabled toilet
- dog walking (dogs under control in all areas of the park)
- dog dip
- dog bins
- fishing (Crawley Angling Society members only).
There is a network of hard-surfaced paths which ensures easy walking in all weather conditions. Much of the park allows good access for pushchairs and wheelchairs. You can download our easy-access trail information below.
There is a permanent 3.5km (2-mile) novice orienteering course and maps are free; download one below or collect one from the Countryside Centre.
The Countryside Centre provides information and displays about the park and wider countryside. It is open Sundays and bank holidays, 12.30pm-4.00pm, and at other times as staffing levels permit.
A variety of items, including hot and cold drinks, locally-made ice cream and a range of local produce are available in the Centre.
There are picnic areas by Douster Pond, Target Hill and in the Wild Garden.
The nearest shops are at Dorsten Square, Bewbush, just under ½ mile from the entrance, and refreshments are also available in the Countryside Centre.
Male and female toilets are located outside the Countryside Centre and are available during car park opening times. There is an additional toilet that includes facilities for baby changing and the disabled.
Buchan Country Park is a haven for quiet recreation and is popular with local dog walkers.
- Dogs are welcome but please keep them under close control.
- Owners are obliged to clear up any mess their dogs leave – dedicated bins are provided for this purpose.
- Island Pond has a dog dip, a designated area where dogs may swim without disturbing other users and wildlife.
- Please keep dogs out of Douster Pond to avoid disturbing wildlife and other users.
- Help us keep the wild garden a dog-free area.
Find out more in our Code of Conduct: